Mounting

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

jfeniello

Mounting

Post by jfeniello »

Are there any requirements or suggestions on mounting the unit? Should it be as close to center of vehicle as possible or doesn't it matter? Does it need to be level? Does it matter which side is facing forward?

Sorry if this info is somewhere, i searched but couldn't find.

thanks,
-jim

ddeltoro

Post by ddeltoro »

From what I was told by Brent, the closest to the center of the car (front/back and left/right) the better. It looks like in its default configuration the terminal block should face towards the front of the car and flat.

dimondjack

Post by dimondjack »

You want the unit to be as close to the yaw axis (which goes through the center of mass) of the car as possible. The yaw sensor will be the most accurate in this configuration. However, just putting it at the center of the car is probably pretty close for most front engine rear drive cars.

You can find your center of mass by looking at your F/R weight bias. a 50/50 car will have the yaw axis halfway between the wheels, probably slightly closer to the driver. 60/40 cars will have the center of mass closer to the front wheels (4/10's of the distance between the wheels).

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The accelerometer and yaw channels are invertable and the the accelerometer channels can be re-mapped. So long as the RaceCapture/Pro unit is flat (right side up or down) and near the center of the vehicle, you will get good performance from the yaw sensor.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Alex W

Post by Alex W »

So how much difference does having it centered L/R make? In my MR2 I was thinking of mounting in the storage box behind the passenger seat, which would be very near the center of rotation front to rear, but offset to the side by a foot or two.

I was also thinking of mounting it in the center console between the seats, which would be about as close to the yaw axis of the car as is possible, but would require me to trim the mounting brackets (the unit is slightly too wide otherwise) and also make a custom bracket to mount it level. Not a big deal if it would be better, I just don't know if it's worth it.

dimondjack

Post by dimondjack »

While we are talking about mounting, I'd like to talk about which size vibration isolators to get.

I've got a nice flat piece of real estate where my passenger seat used to be, so getting it to fit the right direction isn't a problem. I've dealt with enough electronics to know that we should be using vibration isolators to stand the unit off. What size are the holes/slots in the side of the unit? Should I be getting M6 or M5 vibration isolators?

If this isn't the best idea for mounting, please let me know. I've (almost) always mounted electronics like this and only have had failures when I was lazy and hard mounted them.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

If you have any pics of your mounting configuration share them with us! Agree that rubber isolation is a good idea with extra-high vibration environments, like cars with solid motor mounts.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter