Software Trouble

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

KingArthur

Software Trouble

Post by KingArthur »

I got the Java Stuff downloaded but I can't seem to get the MJLJ software work.Can someone give me more instructions on how to get it to work? Where is the command line? Is that the windows command line or Java. If its Java line where is it located?

brentp
Site Admin

Hi, it sounds like you ins

Post by brentp »

Hi,

it sounds like you installed the java runtime.

There is an additional module needed for java in order for the mjlj tuning software to talk to the serial port, called 'Java Comm'.

download it from:
http://java.sun.com/products/javacomm/

unzip the file and read the readme.html file for the installation instructions.

After that is done, you can download the mjlj tuning software. Put it in it's own directory. Also copy the comm.jar file from the Java Comm package to this same directory.

You can run the mjlj configurator (mjljTune-2.0.2.jar) just by double clicking on it. The command line is a different way to start the program- this is done through the windows command prompt.

When I'm done with shipping out this batch of orders, I will create an automated installation program..

Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Luca Lagonigro

Solved? I had the same proble

Post by Luca Lagonigro »

Solved? I had the same problem, if you need some help let me know.

KingArthur

Well, I'm still having troubl

Post by KingArthur »

Well, I'm still having trouble getting the software to work. Do I need to have windows service pack 1 install on my computer, if so I can't get that because of the bootleg XP I'm running. I was hoping Brent started the automated installation program he had talked about. I have never used anything with Java before, I know the software has to work because people are using the MJL-Jr. I seem to be the only one that can't get it to work. Maybe I need more of a baby step instructions. Help Me!!

brentp
Site Admin

I have some time to work on t

Post by brentp »

I have some time to work on the install software, so I'll try to get something done this weekend. In the meantime, I revised the instructions under the 'software' section above.

In the meantime, try to find a friend to help you out.

Thanks,
Brent
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Paratime

COM problems

Post by Paratime »

I am getting the error "Unable to open port COM1; unknown serial port".

I have installed Java (tested with game-OK)
I installed Java COMM API
I unzipped and atempted to follow the instructions in the readme, but for non-Java programmers, they are not 100% clear.

I coppied comm.jar and javax.comm.properties into the directory with mjljTune-2.0.2.jar

I coppied win32com.dll to the MJLj\bin directory

SO, my questions are: is the tuning software for MJLj a "JRE" instalation, (instructions are different for this), could you post a screen shot of the directory tree of a Windows instalation, so I can see if I have all the files in the right location? And, does the control box have to be attached to the port, for the port to be recognized?

Thanks,
Lawrence

brentp
Site Admin

Hi, I updated the software

Post by brentp »

Hi,

I updated the software installation instructions- take a look at them and let me know if it works for you.

http://picasso.org/mjlj/?q=node/view/6

I'm still working on the MJLJ setup wizard which should make this much easier...

Brent
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

rondefly

Com Problems also

Post by rondefly »

I am having the exact same problem as Lawrence is having. I will just wait for Brent to update the instructions.

Thanks

Ron Triano

brentp
Site Admin

Got the instructions updated-

Post by brentp »

Got the instructions updated- see the modified section under the Java Comm installation.

Thanks,
Brent
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

rondefly

UP and running

Post by rondefly »

Thanks Brent, those three instructions did it. Now on to the next item.

Ron Triano

Paratime

All Fixed!

Post by Paratime »

Thank You,

The small detail that the comm files have to go in the JAVA folder was the problem. All is working now!

KingArthur

Thanks Brent... I finally got

Post by KingArthur »

Thanks Brent... I finally got the software to work. I believe some of the problem was a program I had on my computer called WinAce 2.5
Its a program like WinZip. I uninstall it and it worked without having to unzip anything. Before comm.jar was still zipped after downloading and unzipping "Java Comm for Windows". With the new instructions and uninstalling WinAce, it works. I hope I explain this good, maybe for future reference.